Re: "customised" scanner query - dumb scanners wanted

From: Lawrence Glaister (lg@jfm.bc.ca)
Date: Fri Nov 10 2000 - 22:16:42 PST

    Hi Richard,
    I have been thinking along those same lines but for a different application.
    I was hoping to use a USB scanner I bought. I did some tests and the scanner
    outsmarted me... the firmware and cpu inside the scanner do a calibration
    when the scanner initializes and it had better find the stripped target on
    the inside of the case or it gives up. Once the init is done, I actually
    removed the case and let the scanner scan through the air... actually took a
    picture of myself sort of like staring into a zerox machine. I am still
    looking for a nice dumb scanner that has no smarts in the scanner box and
    does all the control from the linux driver.... that way I can do whatever
    calibration or init is required for my app. There have been a few dumb
    scanners that have had linux drivers written for them, but I think most of
    them are parallel port. The pp has some rather short limitations on cabling
    that caused my application some concern.
    I would like to hear from some of the driver writers that have done a driver
    where all the smarts had to be in the driver. What models of scanners are
    like this and how much do they cost.... all I want are the guts and a source
    code driver to modify.
    Lawrence Glaister VE7IT email: lg@jfm.bc.ca
    1462 Madrona Drive http://jfm.bc.ca
    Nanoose Bay BC Canada