hp scanjet 5p with sym53c416 takes a long time

From: Andrew Bulmer (andrewbulmer@canada.com)
Date: Fri Nov 03 2000 - 15:42:39 PST

    Hello,
    I'm having problems with sane 1.0.3 with the scanjet 5p using the sym53c416
    card. It does scan but when I type xscanimage the machine is almost
    unresponsive (If I move the mouse It takes at least a couple of seconds for
    the pointer to move) for about 5 minutes. If I change any of the options in
    xscanimage it becomes almost unresponsive agoin for almost a minute.
    However If I scan It appears to do this at the appropriate speed. I'm
    guessing that there is a problem sending data to the scanner but no
    problems in reading from it. I've tried everything I could think of...
    recompiling sane, trying diferent options for the sym53c416, etc. anyone
    know what is wrong?

    Andrew