Re: [snapscan] Core testing group

From: Steve Underwood (steveu@coppice.org)
Date: Fri Nov 03 2000 - 07:25:31 PST

    Sebastien Sable wrote:

    > cbagwell@sprynet.com writes:
    >
    > > This information is very useful. Do you think we should include it
    > > in the snapscan.desc file somehow?
    >
    > I will put it on the web page when it will be ~complete. Some people
    > reported other scanners (by mail to me not to the mailing-list). I
    > don't have a report for all the models, but at least those that have
    > been reported seem to work.

    It might be better to do this now. It might encourage people to provide the
    information to fill in the holes.

    > > Its described as 48-bits on the box but I downloaded the specs for
    > > the scanner chip it uses and it says something about 14 bits only.
    > > I'll get back to you on this stuff. It may be more useful to
    > > describe the scanners dpi not by model names but the actual optical
    > > chip used.
    >
    > I though there were only 300dpi and 600dpi. Are there really
    > resolutions higher than 600dpi or is it just some kind of
    > interpolation?

    Most of the 300dpi scanner have an actual optiocal resoltionof 300dpi in
    width and 600dpi in length. The 600dpi scanners are actually 600dpi in
    width x 1200 dpi in length. That asymmetric resolution is common to every
    model I know of. Running a 600x1200 scanner as 1200x1200 is quite
    meaningful. Beyong that its mostly blur!

    > I was pretty sure that I could group all scanners in 3 categories to
    > simplify the code, and then I realized, that on top of resolution, bus
    > and protocol differences, there was a difference between bits per
    > color.

    Although the bits per colour varies, the current snapscan software always
    reads 8 bits per pixel for full colour scans. The rest are absolbed in
    gamma correction. The actual scanning process is almost oblivious to the
    number of bits.

    Regards,
    Steve