Re: #include <sane...> instead of "sane..."

From: Oliver Rauch (oliver.rauch@Wolfsburg.DE)
Date: Wed Nov 01 2000 - 09:03:08 PST

    Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

    > [Oliver Rauch]
    > > As far as I know it is not defined in which order the directories
    > > specified with "-I" and the system include directories are searched.
    > > (I know some users had problems because of that).
    >
    > Eh, I am pretty sure they are searched in the order they are specified
    > on the command line. A simple test shows this to be true on Linux /
    > GCC at least. I believe this to be true for all Unix C compilers, and
    > probably all sensible C compilers. Where did users have problems
    > because of another include search order?
    >
    > I suggest making sure "-I../include/sane " is the first -I statement
    > when compiling, and leave it at that.

    Hi Petter,

    it may be right that the path is searched in the order of the -I options,
    but it looks like some compilers do use at first the system include paths
    and after that the ones given by -I.
    I don`t remember it exactly, it has been about 1 year ago.
    The users were not able to compile sane and after they removed
    /usr/local/include/sane everything worked fine.

    It does not look like a problem that does occur often, but
    I also do not see a problem to change all to
    #include "../include/sane/sane*"

    It has another side effect: The one who reads the sourcecode
    knows which file is wanted, when I read a
    #include "sane/sane*"
    I expect at first that a system file is included

    Bye
    Oliver

    --
    Homepage:	http://www.wolfsburg.de/~rauch