bug(?) in installation

From: mh (crapsite@gmx.net)
Date: Wed Nov 01 2000 - 08:06:48 PST

    since I had problems linking my app to libsane (using KDevelop) , I asked the
    guys on kde-devel what might be the problem.
    Here's the question/answer, which is probably of interest for you too.
    -------------
    Question:
    I've reported a problem with linking additional libs in KDevelop1.2 two days ago.
    I thought that this happens which every library, but now it seems
    that it only happens when I try to link "libsane.so".
    I get the error message
    g++: /usr/local/lib/.libs/libsane.so: No such file or directory

    Answer:
    this is a bug inside the libsane.la shiped with SuSE 7.0. you have to
    replace in the file /usr/lib/libsane.la the line
    installed=no
    against
    installed=yes
    I will create an entry on the compile faq page for this problem.

    This isn't only a problem with the sane package shipping with SuSE.
    The line "installed=no" is also there, when you install sane from the tarball.
    Is it possible to replace this line with "installed=yes" during installation,
    or is it up to the one who installs a library to take care of this issue?
    Any libtool expert around?

    Thanks,
    Michael