Re: sane-config

From: Oliver Rauch (oliver.rauch@Wolfsburg.DE)
Date: Tue Oct 31 2000 - 09:44:59 PST

    Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

    > > does not only print the libs required for compiling sane.
    > >
    > > $sane-config --libs
    > > -lsane -ldl -lnsl -ljpeg -lintl -lm
    >
    > It lists all libraries used by SANE backends. Why is this wrong?
    >
    > > Is someone "maintaining" sane-config?
    >
    > Well, I made it, but you can just do the changes you need.
    > --
    > ##> Petter Reinholdtsen <## | pere@td.org.uit.no

    Hi Petter,

    the help says:

    $ sane-config -h
    Usage:
      sane-config --libs - libraries required to link with SANE

    So it should print the libs that a required to link a program with sane
    and not the ones the sane libs are linked against.

    $ ldd /usr/local/lib/sane/libsane-dll.so
            libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x4000e000)

    it looks like ld (=ld-linux?) is already linked to libsane-dll,
    the other ones are not needed (If I compile xscanimage without
    linking nsl, jpeg and intl everything works fine)!

    I think that if the required libs are linked to the sane backends
    it should be enough if a frontend links against libsane.

    So if a backend needs a jpeg library, the library has to be linked
    to the backend lib not to the frontend.

    So the output of sane-config should be "-lsane" ?!

    Bye
    Oliver

    --
    Homepage:	http://www.wolfsburg.de/~rauch