xscanimage Error

From: SoloCDM (deedsmis@aculink.net)
Date: Wed Oct 25 2000 - 13:02:20 PDT

    I have the following line in /etc/inetd.conf:

    sane stream tcp nowait root /usr/local/sbin/saned
    saned

    I have the following line in /etc/services:

    sane 6566/tcp # network scanner daemon

    I made a soft link for /dev/scanner to /dev/sga and changed the bits
    to 660 for /dev/sga and /dev/sge.

    I entered the following lines in /etc/sane.d/saned.conf:

    [host1].[domain].net
    [host2].[domain].net

    I entered the following lines in /etc/sane.d/mustek.conf as the second
    scanner option:

    /dev/sge
      option linedistance-fix
      option lineart-fix # lineart may be faster with this
    option off.

    I ran xscanimage and the following occurred.

    kernel: parport0: PC-style at 0x378 [SPP,PS2]
    kernel: parport0: no IEEE-1284 device present.
    kernel: ppa: Version 2.03 (for Linux 2.2.x)
    kernel: ppa: Found device at ID 6, Attempting to use EPP 32 bit
    kernel: ppa: Found device at ID 6, Attempting to use PS/2
    kernel: ppa: Communication established with ID 6 using PS/2
    kernel: scsi0 : Iomega VPI0 (ppa) interface
    kernel: scsi : 1 host.
    kernel: Vendor: IOMEGA Model: ZIP 100 Rev: J.03
    kernel: Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI
    revision: 02 kernel: Detected scsi removable disk sda at scsi0,
    channel 0, id 6, lun 0 kernel: sda : READ CAPACITY failed.
    kernel: sda : status = 0, message = 00, host = 0, driver = 28
    kernel: sda : extended sense code = 2
    kernel: sda : block size assumed to be 512 bytes, disk size 1GB.
    kernel: sda:scsidisk I/O error: dev 08:00, sector 0
    kernel: unable to read partition table

    I do have a parallel port Iomega drive, which I haven't attempted to
    access yet (obviously xscanimage did). What do I need to properly
    access the scanner? BTW, I have all of the above configurations on a
    server.

    Note: When you reply to this message, please include
          the mailing list and my email address.