SANE can't see Epson Perfection 1200S

From: Malcolm Farmer (mfarmer@smilodon.uklinux.net)
Date: Mon Oct 16 2000 - 15:11:38 PDT

    I'm running Slackware 7.1, SANE-1.0.3: make failed on compiling a couple
    of backends, when they tried to include files I don't have - e.g. one was
    an include for OS/2(?)
    Since they were backends for devices I'm not using, I commented
    them out of the Makefile: the remaining backends compiled OK, as did the
    rest of the SANE files, and make install seemed to be OK... in particular,
    the Epson backend compiled with no problems.

    The interface card supplied with the scanner is an Adaptec 2903B; I have
    the following modules installed: sg, aic7xxx, scsi_mod
    The card and scanner appear to be OK: the card status is listed in
    /proc/scsi/aic7xxx/0, and there are two identical /proc/scsi/scsi entries
    that read:
    > Attached devices:
    > Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 02 Lun: 00
    > Vendor: EPSON Model: Perfection1200 Rev: 1.03
    ...so the scanner *is* talking to the system.

    find-scanner gives this:
    > found processor "EPSON Perfection1200 1.03" at device /dev/sg0
    > found processor "EPSON Perfection1200 1.03" at device /dev/sga

    Should the *one* scanner be found twice?
    I made a /dev/scanner link to /dev/sg0 - the results described below are
    much the same if it's set to /dev/sga, though, (once /dev/scanner is
    defined, find-scanner then also finds the EPSON at /dev/scanner)

    I have everything in /usr/local/etc/sane.d/dll.conf commented out except
    epson (though it makes no difference to the end result whatever is
    commented or uncommented)

    When I run
    #scanimage -d epson:/dev/scanner
    I get this:
    #scanimage: open of device EPSON failed: Invalid argument
    ... and I get that result for /dev/sg0 and /dev/sga as well

    It makes no difference if /usr/local/etc/sane.d/epson.conf contains
    scsi EPSON
    or
    /dev/scanner *
    I have run through all sorts of variants on device names and
    directories and get the same result.
    Trying
    # SANE_DEBUG_EPSON=128 scanimage -d epson:/dev/scanner
      gives no output other than the same old "Invalid argument"

    This is not a file permission problem as far as I can see: it still gives
    "Invalid Argument" when running as root. I am getting very frustrated.
    I'm beginning to think scanimage is either missing a file or can't find
    the configuration files, but I have no idea what to try next.

    Malcolm Farmer
    mfarmer@smilodon.uklinux.net