Re: [SnapScan] Core testing group

From: cbagwell@sprynet.com
Date: Tue Oct 10 2000 - 07:29:06 PDT

    Hello all,

    I would also like to join the group of SnapScan developers/testers. I just bought an Acer 640BU last saturday and got it working with SANE 1.0.1 sunday. I was worried when I bought it since I haven't seen any talk of it before (just 640U's). I'll post the trivial amount needed beyond whats needed for an Acer 640U soon.

    I started with 1.0.3 but gave up because it had only partial USB support which I need.

    The main thing I want to work on is getting USB support integrated fully into the scanscan driver so that its a config file option instead of a compile time option. I'll also be happy to test anything others develop to make sure it works with a 640BU.

    From my initial testing with the SANE 1.0.1 drivers everything works good except at the resolution of 300. At 300 the scanner will scan about 2 inches and then look up at one position making a constant short sounding "eenk-ennk-eenk", or something like that. :-) All other resolutions seemed to work.

    Oh yeah, and if SANE tries to ever scan the system to see whats out their and access /dev/scanner then it actually passes a USB bulk_msg call which locks up the kernel scanner.o driver and then SANE and makes them both unusable.

    Is the snapscan driver being actively mantained by someone? If I submit patches can we get them into CVS? I'd be happy to set up a web page to cordinate our patches and perhaps the SCSI/USB dumps from windows if people think it would be useful.

    Chris