Re: Symbios SCSI problem? (was Epson GT8700: "Error ...")

From: Douglas Gilbert (dgilbert@interlog.com)
Date: Thu Oct 05 2000 - 19:43:07 PDT

    Phil Cummins wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm sorry for cluttering up the mailing list with so
    > many postings. However, I noticed what may be an important
    > aspect of my problem with the GT 8700 scanner.
    >
    > As I mentioned, I use Redhat 6.2, kernel 2.2.14, and
    > my SCSI controller is an on-board NCR 53c875 (now known
    > as Symbios? - driver is sym53c8xx). I am using sane-1.03.
    > Detection of the scanner gets reported in the boot message
    > and appears in /proc/scsi/scsi as:
    >
    > Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 02 Lun: 00
    > Vendor: EPSON Model: SCANNER GT-8700 Rev: 1.03
    >
    > and indeed the Lun is set to 2 on the scanner. My understanding
    > is that this should correspond to /dev/sgc, so I made the
    > soft link:
    > /dev/scanner -> /dev/sgc

    That's the device "id" that is 2, _not_ the LUN.
    Irrespective of the scsi adapter number, channel, id or lun;
    sg sees it as the first scsi device and maps it to
    /dev/sga (or possibly /dev/sg0 which is now preferred).

    > However, scanimage -L reports:
    > device `epson:/dev/sgb' is a Epson GT-8700 flatbed scanner

    So perhaps something appeared _before_ the scanner in the
    'cat /proc/scsi/scsi' output?

    > So, it seems to be getting the wrong Lun.
    The LUN is zero and plays no part in this.

    > I tried removing
    > the link /dev/scanner->/dev/sdc, and then scanimage doesn't
    > find the scanner.

    Yikes. Just as well that your system doesn't have 3 scsi
    disks or that may have wiped out the third one.

    Try changing it to /dev/scanner -> /dev/sgb
    as suggested by scanimage -L

    > Finally, I tried changing the Lun on the
    > scanner to 1 and rebooting. I also linked /dev/scanner->/dev/sdc.
    > Now scanimage -L waits a long time before reporting:
    >
    > [s9036] sense_handler() : sense code = f0
    > Segmentation fault

    Bet the SANE designers never thought anyone would do that :-)

    > In any case, it now appears that what I thought was a
    > problem with the Epson GT8700 is actually a problem with
    > my Symbios SCSI, don't you think? (Somehow I doubt that the
    > SCSI people will be very surprised by this...)

    Not sure about that, I thought the 53c8xx driver was pretty good
    (the same driver runs in FreeBSD) and is actively maintained.
    Try some of the suggestions above and contact me if you have
    further problems.

    Doug Gilbert