Epson GT8700: "Error during read: Invalid argument"

From: Phil Cummins (cummins@xochitl.jamstec.go.jp)
Date: Wed Oct 04 2000 - 20:52:41 PDT

    Hello,

      I'm new to sane so I apologize if there is something obvious
    I missed in the FAQ and installation instructions. My situation
    is as follows:

       I run a Redhat 6.2(SMP) system and recently bought an Epson
    GT8700 scanner. I realized this model isn't officialy supported,
    under SANE but was encouraged by the "supported Epson scanners"
    thread in this mailing list. This scanner has a SCSI interface
    which I have connected to my PC's on-board Symbios SCSI.
    I set the sg buffer in /usr/include/scsi/sg.h to the 130560 size
    suggested in the sane-scsi man page, and recompiled the
    kernel, although I later learned that this probably wasn't
    necessarty for my 2.2.14 kernel(?). In any case, the sanner
    shows up in the boot message.
     SANE (and xsane) compile with no reported problems.
    I try the following scanimage comands:

    # scanimage --list-devices
    device `epson:/dev/sgb' is a Epson GT-8700 flatbed scanner

    # scanimage --device epson:/dev/sgb --help
    Usage: scanimage [OPTION]...

    .... a long list of options, ending with:

    List of available devices:
        epson:/dev/sgb

    (the scanner makes a brief but reassuring noise when I
    run these). However, if I try to preview using xscanimage
    or xsane, I get the error message

    Error during read: Invalid argument

    in a Gtk box, and

    [epson] option: fatal error

    in my terminal window. Needless to say, I am unable to
    acquire any scanned images, preview or otherwise.

     Can anyone please offer some suggestion as to how
    to proceed in order to overcome or diagnose this
    problem? Thanks,