12bit (was Re: Patch for sane.tex (image polarity))

From: Nick Lamb (njl98r@ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Oct 04 2000 - 12:40:33 PDT

    On Wed, Oct 04, 2000 at 12:10:38PM +0200, abel deuring wrote:
    > (BTW, what happens, if [x]scanimage receives RGB data with, say, 12 bit
    > per colour? Is such a format handled properly by PNM programs or Gimp?)

    Can't happen. The SANE standard specifies 1bit, 8bit and 16bit only.

    A backend which sends 12 bits per sample is broken. A backend which sends
    12 bits wrapped as 16 bits (with leading 000s) is broken. "36 bit" scanner
    data is multiplied (or at least shifted) to fill the dynamic range of
    16 bit samples before going over SANE. See (many) previous discussions
    in the list archives.

    I don't know how PNM handles 16 bit, but Gimp provides only 8 bit samples
    and frontends like XSane and XScanimage are expected (required actually)
    to downsample if necessary before passing the data to Gimp.

    Nick.