HP 5100C debugging help needed

From: Bruce DeVisser (bruce@bmdsoftware.com)
Date: Mon Sep 25 2000 - 11:33:46 PDT

    I have an HP Scanjet 5100C, parallel port interface.

    (Disclaimer: this machine is from an uncle who has experienced nothing
    but problems with it under Windows; he took it in for service once,
    too. He dumped it on me to go buy another one.)

    I have installed ppSCSI 0.91 on Linux kernel version 2.2.5, and the
    scanner is recognised:

    Contents of /proc/scsi/scsi includes:
    Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
      Vendor: HP Model: C5190A Rev: 3740
      Type: Processor ANSI SCSI revision: 02

    # cat /proc/scsi/epst/1:
    ident: epst 0.91 (0.91), Shuttle EPST
    base port: 0x378
    mode: 0
    mode name: Nybble
    delay: 1
    nice: 0
    verbose: 0
    quiet: 0
    tot_cmds: 7407
    tot_bytes: 8585698
    tot_errs: 0

    scanimage -L picks it up okay.

    When I request a scan (scanimage > /dev/null), the scanner behaves as
    though it doesn't know how to align itself or 'rewind' the scanning
    'head' back up to the top of page. If I manually reset the head, the
    scan doesn't involve much bump-and-grind against the lower end (except
    a little at the end). However, since the scanning head doesn't get
    repositioned, repeated attempts are 100% grind-against-the-end
    scenarios.

    My questions are two:

    1. How do I confirm whether the problem is with the scanner itself, as
    opposed a problem with the driver?

    2. If it is the scanner itself... does anyone have a pointer for
    helpful info on this scanner? Is it notorious for problems like this,
    etc.? (I sat on HP's tech support line twice for about an hour, only
    to be disconnected before I talked to a live person.)

    --
    - Bruce