Some help with the net backend

From: Graham Leggett (minfrin@sharp.fm)
Date: Mon Sep 25 2000 - 07:51:57 PDT

    Hi all,

    I am having a bit of a conceptual problem with the sane-net backend, and
    the confusing error messages from sane are not helping.

    On the remote machine with the scanner attached, I can run xscan and the
    scanner (an HP) works fine.

    I have set up saned.conf on the remote machine like so:

            +

    (I'll lock this down later, right now I just want to see it work once).

    On the local machine, I have the net.conf file set up like this:

            watchman.domain.se

    On the local machine, I try to connect to this remote machine like this:

            xsane net:watchman.domain.se:/dev/scanner

    I get a log entry on the remote side like this:

    Sep 25 17:28:57 watchman saned[4808]: access by root@esoe068-206
    accepted
    Sep 25 17:29:03 watchman saned[4808]: exiting

    The message is always "access by root@esoe068-206 accepted", regardless
    of whether I log into the local machine as user root or not.

    On the local side I get the error message:

    "Failed to open device `net:watchman.domain.se:/dev/scanner`: Invalid
    Argument"

    The remote side is configured to listen via inetd. The saned runs as
    user "saned". The /dev/scanner link and the device /dev/sge are both
    owned by "saned" and have the correct permissions.

    Can anyone see where this has gone wrong?

    Is there a net HOWTO anywhere describing how you can get net access to a
    working state in a step by step fashion?

    Regards,
    Graham