HP3400 & HP4300. Hacking report.

From: Adrian Perez Jorge (adrianpj@easynews.com)
Date: Sun Sep 24 2000 - 03:15:05 PDT

    ('binary' encoding is not supported, stored as-is) Hi everybody,

      A friend has e-mailed me asking about SANE support for the HP3400
    scanner. This one is a parallel port scanner.

    I know the first thing to do is to know if the scanner supports SCL.
    I have not tried yet to ask HP support about this. Just
    disassemble a .dll and then those function names appeared:

    Name: DllMain
    Name: ScannerLock
    Name: ScannerVersion
    Name: Color
    Name: ColorDither
    Name: ColorThreshold
    Name: CommandInquire
    Name: Dither
    Name: Download
    Name: GetScanInfo
    Name: GetScanState
    Name: GrayScale
    Name: ResetScanner
    Name: Scan
    Name: SetDecipointWindow
    Name: SetPixelWindow
    Name: SetResolution
    Name: SetScale
    Name: SetScanState
    Name: SetScanWindow
    Name: Threshold
    Name: Upload
    Name: BuildCommand
    Name: BuildInquire
    Name: InquireModel
    Name: InquireNumber
    Name: InquireOldestError
    Name: InquireString
    Name: ReceiveResponse
    Name: SendCommand
    Name: RecFromScanner
    Name: SendToScanner
    Name: CheckIO
    Name: VerifyResponse
    Name: ButtonPoll
    Name: ClearButton
    Name: ScannerLockButton
    Name: DualScan
    Name: SetDiagnosticSCL
    Name: InquireBufferSize
    Name: SCLRead

    You will notice the `SetDiagnosticSCL' and `SCLRead' functions, so
    maybe this scanner is also using SCL. It seems the hp3400 and the
    hp4300 scanners are using the same driver.

    If the scanner supports SCL, the main question here now is what device
    is being used to interface the computer to the scanner controller.
    This guy tried to use the ppSCSI patch, but unfortunately the module
    can't find a known protocol, maybe because the scanner is not using
    the Shuttle EPST/EPSA-2 adapter.

    The windoze low level controller for this scanner is a .vxd file.
    This .vxd was developed using a toolkit from Vireo Software, and the
    string ``c:\silitek\2.23\hpgtp'' appears somewhere in the .vxd. I have
    asked Silitek (www.silitek.com) about this, but no answer until
    now. :(

    I have also tried to use Jochen Eisinger's tool to capture the IO
    port (vdx), but I get a ``Segmentation fault'' when running the
    program.

    Any help will be appreciated (where to ask for info, how to hack the
    .vxd, etc).

    Adrian Perez Jorge
    <adrianpj@easynews.com>