Re: authorization support (TODO list)

From: Nick Lamb (njl98r@ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Sep 21 2000 - 14:31:09 PDT

    On Thu, Sep 21, 2000 at 05:59:16PM +0200, Jochen Eisinger wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > Since nobody seems to be interested in participating activly, I'll start
    > working on these two points by myself.
    >
    > Has anyone suggestions what such an interface should be able to do
    > (except of the general guidelines for user authentification in the SANE
    > standard 1.01)?

    <possibly overkill>

    Only thing that comes to mind is PAM, Pluggable Authentication Modules
    which is a feature of Solaris, (some) Linux and various other Unix systems

    You might want to look at it, and see if it has the features you want
    as isn't too much code for your taste. The minimal PAM APIs
    (after all users won't be changing their password through XSane)
    might actually be smaller than implementing /etc/passwd yet again...

    /me imagines users in a fascist Unix environment forced to prick their
    thumbs and run blood through pam_biometric_bloodtest before being
    permitted to scan 100 pages through an ADF :)

    </possibly overkill>

    Nick.