Re: Future-proofing SANE.

From: Oliver Rauch (oliver.rauch@Wolfsburg.DE)
Date: Thu Sep 21 2000 - 07:08:19 PDT

    Ian Stirling wrote:

    > As sane sources may get onto CD, and other R/O media, that persist for a
    > long time, wouldn't it be appropriate to add a check, to see if the
    > build date is after June 2003, and if so, to build LZW in, to allow
    > GIF, and compressed TIFF?

    Hi Ian,

    do you think it makes sense to compile a sane version of today in 2003?

    There is no real advantage to use GIF or LZW today, there still exist
    formats that are at least as good as GIF or LZW. In 3 years GIF and
    LZW may be irrelevant at all. If not we still can include it then.
    (BTW is the Year 2003 correct that the LZW algorithem gets free?)

    Bye
    Oliver

    --
    Homepage:	http://www.wolfsburg.de/~rauch