Re: newbie tryin to use SANE w/ webcam

From: Henning Meier-Geinitz (hmg-ml@gmx.de)
Date: Sun Sep 17 2000 - 10:42:31 PDT

    On Sun, Sep 17, 2000 at 09:31:02AM -0400, Keith Warno wrote:
    > I grabbed SANE 1.0.3 yesterday and I must say the compile process
    > produced a LOT of warnings, mostly about unused variables and
    > comparisons between signed and unsigned.

    This isn't nice but it isn't not unusual either. If you want to see some
    more warnings try ./configure --enable-warnings :^) I try to fix the
    warnings in my backend and the global parts of sane I understand. The rest
    must be done by the other backend maintainers. But not all backends are
    maintained, so ...

    > egcs-2.91.66 19990314/Linux (egcs-1.1.2 release)"). The compile
    > process was also pretty slow; my machine is lightly loaded and
    > relatively fast (pIII 500, 256MB RAM, blah blah).

    There are many different backends to compile and link ...
    If you know what backend(s) you want to use you can change the
    "PRELOADABLE_BACKENDS=" line in backend/Makefile to only include the
    backends you need.

    > On to the real issue. I have an old US Robotics Big Picture
    > camera. This thing comes with a video capture board made by
    > Hauppaugue Computer Works, the Win/TV people. The board is the
    > "Brooktree Bt848 (rev 17)". The kernel (2.2.17) has the bttv built
    > in but I haven't been able to get the camera to do anything at all
    > with SANE, or with any programs for that matter.

    I don't have much experience with cameras but I think if your camera isn't
    supported by the kernel you won't have success with SANE. SANE has direct
    support for some cameras (see README) but the rest is supported by the v4l
    backend which is an interface to the Video for Linux kernel driver. So if
    your camera doesn't work with e.g. KWinTv and Video for Linux you probably
    won't have success with SANE.

    > I tried using xcam but it gives me nothing. I would have expected
    > the capture board to show up in xcam's device list but it
    > doesn't. It's no where to be found.

    Is it found by the kernel?

    > xcam seems to have a few issues. It's segfaulted on me a number of
    > times. Namely when attempting to change stuff in the Preferences
    > menu (like "Show Advanced Options"). Maybe my gtk version is
    > flaky? I have both glib and gtk version 1.2.8. :/

    I don't think that gtk is the reason. Since 2 1/2 years nobody touched xcam
    and it's without a maintainer. Would you like to maintain this program?

    Bye,
      Henning