Re: sane-devel mailing list blocking non-subscribers

From: Nick Lamb (njl98r@ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Sep 14 2000 - 12:17:11 PDT

    On Thu, Sep 14, 2000 at 09:08:48AM +0200, Christopher Wiggins wrote:
    > What I did find a bit odd was that there was no notice that my mail was
    > not accepted. I dont know how complicated it is, but a notice stating
    > that my post was not accepted as a non-subscriber would have let me know
    > that it had not got through. I think this would clear things up nicely,
    > but again depends how easily it could be automated.

    Any system which accepts mail but neither forwards it to its destination
    nor notifies the sender that the mail couldn't be forwarded is broken.
    It's that simple. If you're not intending to forward it, don't even
    accept it.

    OTOH If the mail goes to a human and they make policy decisions, that
    is fine, but it would be good etiquette to inform people in advance that
    their mail may be arbitrarily dropped, edited, forwarded, delayed and
    otherwise maltreated -- all in the name of the group of course.

    Nick.