Scanport SQ300 with SANE / microtek2 backend

From: Christopher Wiggins (wiggins@cns.mpg.de)
Date: Mon Sep 04 2000 - 02:52:06 PDT

    I emailed the SANE development list re: getting my Scanport SQ300
    parallel port scanner to work with SANE. In the end the answer was to
    get the latest microtek2 backend, which allowed me to get some
    functionality, but not really a useable scanner (mirrored images,
    errors in scanning length and selection of image area, etc.). In the end
    it is (with gritting of teeth) far better to use Windows for scanning.

    Since then I have been getting email from other users, who, at best,
    get as far as I do. However in my last correspondence (ca. Febuary) with
    Bernd Schroeder he said that he would not have time to do much work on
    this, and indeed his ftp site ( ftp://ftp.muc.de/people/bernds/mtek2/ )
    has shown no change since the 2nd of January.

    I guess this means that, unless Bernd's other workload is now reduced,
    or someone else can fill his shoes (unfortunately I can only wish I was
    up to it!), the development of the microtek2 backend is effectively on
    hold for the forseeable future. Thus users of scanners that require this
    backend should not expect any improvement for a while.

    Chris Wiggins