weird speed difference with parallel port scanner

From: mh (moloch@nikocity.de)
Date: Thu Aug 10 2000 - 13:08:13 PDT

    Hi again,
    I just discovered another problem.
    Again I thought that it might be a bug in my frontend,
    but the other frontends show the same behavior.
    I'm using Sane1.0.2 with the plustek backend 0.36-18 and
    a Opticpro 600P scanner on SuSE Linux 6.4.
    The parallel port mode is set to EPP (in the BIOS).

    I tried to scan with a printer (HP DeskJet 500 C) connected
    to the scanner. Everything seems to work fine, preview scanning
    with 50 dpi is pretty fast.

    Now I removed the printer, only the scanner is connected to the
    parallel port.
    The result seems rather weird: scanning with the same settings now is
    about three times slower :-(

    I have no idea how to solve this. Might this be a problem with the
    backend, or maybe with the hardware?
    Can anyone tell me how I can figure this out?

    Thanks a lot
    Michael