Re: quick note from the TWAIN/SANE meeting at OLS

From: David Mosberger-Tang (David.Mosberger@acm.org)
Date: Mon Aug 07 2000 - 23:51:28 PDT

    >>>>> On Fri, 04 Aug 2000 11:26:30 -0700, Stephen Williams <steve@icarus.com> said:

      Stephen> Well, I think what scanner vendors in general want to do is
      Stephen> be able to write their own dialog box that the user can use
      Stephen> to configure the scanner in magical and scanner specific
      Stephen> ways. At the TWAIN level, that sort of thing does make
      Stephen> sense, I think. (At the SANE level, it does not as private
      Stephen> tags are the way to handle these. I imagine this scanner
      Stephen> specific dialog can use the standard SANE protocol to
      Stephen> communicate.)

      Stephen> Of course, I'm coming from the perspective of a
      Stephen> high-performance scanner manufacturer where $0.05 worth of
      Stephen> labor won't kill us, but not having the desired convenient
      Stephen> access to Nifty Feature X really hurts.

    In my mind, that's a separate issue. Yes, I do think that there may
    be a need to reserve a range of SANE_TYPE_* numbers for
    vendor-specific options. If we do this, I'd really like to see some
    sort of certification procedure to ensure that this mechanism doesn't
    get abused. Basically, the goal would be to ensure that the vendor
    specific options are used only when absolutely necessary and that the
    scanner always remains usable with the standard options.

    Of course, a scanner vendor would want/need to provide a custom front
    end to be able to make use of these options. However, I think this is
    different from simply trying to write a fancy-looking custom frontend
    for the standard SANE options, so I think we should keep them
    separate. I.e., there are two issues here:

            (i) how to customize the look of the scanner dialog

            (ii) how to provide an "escape" or "pass-through" mechanism that
                 permits for more extensibility (and how to do this without
                 completely breaking interoperability)

      --david