insane sane problems :)

From: Jonathan P. Dietrich (jpdietrich@crosswinds.net)
Date: Mon Aug 07 2000 - 10:42:21 PDT

    I am new to sane and have a question I can' figure out. I have a Umax
    Astra 600S scanner that I am trying to make work in Linux. I looked on
    the Sane homepage and found that this scanner is supported by sane, so I

    downloaded a pre-compiled version of Sane. (I don't know how to compile
    source code) Then I typed:

    dpkg -i sane_1.0.2-1.deb

    I get a message after this that sane conflicts with gimp 1.1.22-1

    I can't figure out what to do, as I don't know much about what I am
    doing. Can somebody explain simply what I need and what I am doing
    wrong? I am sure I sound ignorant, but I am trying to learn. I was
    "brought up" on Windows and am trying to switch over to Linux. Quite a
    contrast, to say the least!

    Thank you,
    Jonathan