Re: Code freeze for 1.0.3

From: Oliver Rauch (oliver.rauch@Wolfsburg.DE)
Date: Fri Aug 04 2000 - 01:10:15 PDT

    Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

    > [Henning Meier-Geinitz]
    > > What about OS/2 support? Is Jeff Freedman really working on this? URL?
    >
    > I believe Yuri Dario is working on this at the moment. I event tried
    > to integrate his patches into the distribution, but did not find time
    > to complete this. In addition to using sanei_config_read(), the OS/2
    > port needs wrappers for all calls to fork(), and a simple network fix.
    > I hope we get it in before 1.0.4.

    Ok, if it is a relative simple change we can include it in the sourcecode.
    We already had a discussion about that about one year ago:
    The sane distribution we have is one implemented for unix.
    If it is necessary to do hard changes on this distribution, especally in
    all backend sourcecodes, it would be better to create a new
    distribution.

    But I think it should be possible to change the backends that we can compile
    all backends for unix, OS/2 and may be (some day) win32, beos, macos,....
    But all changes in a backend sourcecode have to be done by the
    author/maintainer of the backend.
    Is there already a working sanei_ routine for it? I know there is a
    fork-wrapper,but does it work?

    > [Oliver Rauch]
    > > We also should leave/add the backends that are not included into
    > > sane, don`t matter if they are two years old. It is better to start
    > > from a 2 year old code than to start from ZERO.
    >
    > I planed to use the .desc files for this purpose. This way all
    > available backends appear on the web page, and the users will be able
    > to find the backend if it exists. I believe every available backend
    > should be listed on the web page, even if they are old and close to
    > useless.

    If we use desc files from backends that are not part of the package
    we should add a field to the desc files that indicates if a backend is
    included in the package!!!

    But if I want to start a project I look what is in the sane-package
    and take a look at the PROJECTS file. I do not take a look at the
    hompage. So we should add all projects that are not in the sane-package
    to the PROJECTS file, not only via desc-files to the homepage.

    > I was a bit surprised when the musteka4s2.desc file as
    > removed. Was the removal coordinated with the author of the
    > musteka4s2 backend?

    Don`t know, who removed the file?

    Bye
    Oliver