SANE-V2.0

From: Oliver Rauch (oliver.rauch@Wolfsburg.DE)
Date: Wed Aug 02 2000 - 06:55:07 PDT

    it looks like we stand at a start of a new discussion about SANE-V2.0.

    I think before we work on a new sane standard we have to discuss the
    needed/wanted changes for the TWAIN interface with the twain people.
    It does not make sense to create a sane-2.0 standard now and a new one in
    half a year.

    I suggest we will create a group that shall work out a proposal for sane-v2.0.
    What we learned from the discussion on the mailling list last year is that
    we had to spend a lot of time and did not get any usable results (and good
    people like Andreas Beck were worried about the discussion style and left
    the project).
    So this group shall start working not public (not in the mailling list) and make a
    first proposal for the new standard. This proposal shall be published if the group
    thinks that it is good enough to discuss it.

    The group should consist of 3 or 4 people who designed the first sane standard
    or who are really working on the implementation of a backend or frontend.

    Last year when we had this discussion Andreas Beck and I worked on a
    sane-v2.0-proposal. It is not written as a full text, but I have the mails with all
    suggestions and can write a pre-sane-v2.0 proposal from it that can be used
    by the group.

    Oliver

    --
    Homepage:       http://www.wolfsburg.de/~rauch