2 scanners on startup--have only one

From: Bob van der Poel (bvdpoel@uniserve.com)
Date: Fri Jul 14 2000 - 15:14:21 PDT

    Hope this makes sense... I just used to have a scaner in the scsi dept.
    Recently added an ide-cdburner which needs the fake-scsi stuff to run.

    Due to this I had to change the scanner scsi device from sga to sgb.
    Now, I have:

    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 Jul 13 13:13 scanner -> sgb
    crw-rw---- 1 root cdrom 21, 0 May 5 1998 sga
    crw-rw---- 1 root scanner 21, 1 May 5 1998 sgb

    and all works fine. Only problem is that when xsane starts up it lists 2
    scanners and I have to pick one of them. The 2 it lists are

            microtek:/dev/scanner
            microtek:/dev/sgb

    These are the same devices! Besides, when I had dev/scanner-->sga it
    never was a problem. Can someone tell me what's going on?

    Also, find-scanner reports:

    find-scanner: found scanner " Scanner 1.80" at device /dev/scanner
    find-scanner: found scanner " Scanner 1.80" at device /dev/sg1
    find-scanner: found scanner " Scanner 1.80" at device /dev/sgb

    I'm not sure what the sg[0-9] entries are for, but they are links to
    sg[a-h].

    Thanks.

    --
       __