Re: How to support a scanner without documentation

From: Nathan Stenzel (nathanjs@csj.net)
Date: Thu Jun 22 2000 - 16:18:27 PDT

    Wow!
    If I send you a copy of my scanner driver disk, could you do that with it?
    I have a Mustek GC6000 handheld scanner and a Plustek 4800P flatbed scanner.
    I would greatly appreciate it if the the other sane-devel guys had that code!

    I can't even seem to compile the scanner code that I am supposed to be testing.
    ha ha ha

    Jochen Eisinger wrote:

    > Hi,
    > >
    > > 5) Disassembling the Windows driver: I have never done this, other people
    > > on this list may talk about this. I think it's a lot of work and needs
    > > good understatement of assembler and the windows API.
    >
    > I've done this with a Mustek PP driver...
    >
    > There are several files in the windows/twain/a4s2/ directory. The only
    > interesting file was scanobj.dll: this file calls a a4sii300.386 (VxD).
    > scanobj.dll is quite easy to read, there are several functions like
    > PowerOn/Off, GetDeviceInfo, Start/StopScan, GetImage, SetParameters,
    > etc... I used this information for a) figuring out what parameters the
    > vxd driver needs and b) what vxd function no is supposed to do. Next I
    > disassembled the vxd and translated the assembler code to C code which
    > is quite straight forward. Now comes the difficult part. You have to
    > replace names like sub9CF or var65535_word with names like lock_port and
    > image_width. This is quite difficult, but it's possible. Now you have
    > the sources of a working scanner driver...
    >
    > -- jochen

     Robert Morris College
    For Information
    Visit Us: http://www.rmcil.edu