Acer 620ST update

From: Simon Edwards (simoned@eisa.net.au)
Date: Fri Jun 09 2000 - 18:22:49 PDT

    Greets,

    Some news. My 620 is now recognised. Yay. Turned out to be a compilation
    problem. gggrrrr. The new scapscan backend wasn't being compiled and
    installed. (The Makefiles don't seem very good.. They don't seems to
    have the right dependances setup..) Ok, so now xscanimage starts up and
    detects the scanner. Try to get a preview image => Floating Point
    Exception of Death! The debug info says that the inquiry command just
    returns 0 for the number of bytes for the preview image. A division by
    zero probably comes quickly after that. bummer.

    Now, my theory for this is that the scanner is sleeping. On Win98 the
    scanner driver knows to "Warm Up" the scanner before it uses it. After a
    few minutes of inactivity the scanner goes back to the sleeping state.
    The driver can sense whether the scanner is sleeping. So, how do we wake
    up the scanner?

    Does anyone know of a SCSI bus sniffer for Win98?

    When I get time I'll try to do an experiment by 'waking' the scanner up
    under windows then quickly booting into Linux and sane...

    --
    Simon Edwards