Re: Parallel Scanners (UMAX Astra 1220P)

From: Jerome Hettich (sane@hettich.demon.co.uk)
Date: Fri Jun 09 2000 - 02:23:46 PDT

    I have seen somewhere (I don't remember where now) that the umax 1220P uses
    the same command protocol as the 1220U scanner (the USB version).
    Unfortunately neither are supported by the SANE umax backend either since
    UMAX will only release their SCSI command protocol.

    However there is a driver available for the 1220U scanner, on Linux with a
    patched version of the 2.3.99pre3 kernel, written by one of the Linux USB
    development groups (Paul Mackerras). If you were considering attempting to
    write a backend for the 1220P then perhaps this may be of help. I may
    however be misinformed and this may be of no use whatsoever. It should be
    available from:
    ftp://linuxcare.com.au/pub/paulus/umax1220u.tar.gz

    Perhaps Oliver Rauch would know more about this as I believe he is
    responsible for the umax backend. He has told me that there are no plans to
    support the USB and parallel scanners as the protocol is not released.
    However I was thinking about attempting to set about trying to get my 1220U
    scanner supported in SANE this summer. Since there is a driver available but
    no documentation could anyone comment on how hard they think this might be
    and perhaps give me a rough guide as to what I would need to do?

    Jerome