Re: New Interface sanei_pa4s2...

From: Jochen Eisinger (jochen.eisinger@gmx.net)
Date: Thu Jun 08 2000 - 10:56:36 PDT

    Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
    > After reading thru the source, it seems like a few of the functions
    > might be used to improve the pio API. It must be possible to make a
    > parport API that works on all platforms. Are the _epp functions
    > implementing the 'enhanced parport' mode? I've been reading about the
    > the Linux parport kernel API, and noticed support for epp, ecp and
    > nibble mode in this API. Would a sanei parport API with support for
    > such modes make it easier to support parport scanners?

    What exactly do you mean with "kernel API"? I found in extras/paride/
    some kind of API for certain devices that connect to the parport. A
    module for a mustek pp scanner could easily be added. But I think, it's
    better to keep the code in the sanei_pa4s2 file, because one doesn't
    need to recompile the whole kernel just to install SANE... furthermore,
    I'm not sure what this epp stuff is about. As far as I have experienced,
    there are two choices:
    a) EPP/ECP is present (i.e. the parport hardware supports it)
    b) it's not...

    and in the later case, the _epp functions just don't work... this means,
    that one cannot write a sanei parport API that supports any pp scanner.
    I fear, we'll have to add an interface for each pp chipset.

    but: I've never seen any technical description neither of EPP/ECP
    protocolls nor of the mustek chipset. The knowledge how to write an
    interface suddendly was in my brain... :-)

    -- jochen