Problems debugging SANE 1.0.2 on SuSE 6.4

From: Stefan Scherer (stefan_scherer@sepp.de)
Date: Mon Jun 05 2000 - 10:03:16 PDT

    I recently updated my system to SuSE Linux 6.4. After recompiling
    the SANE sources, I have strange problems.

    I've read the mailing-list for some hints and re-configured SANE with
    the option --enable-scsibuffersize=32768

    I also patched the sources for the canon backend, suggested in
    http://www.mostang.com/mail-archive/sane-devel/2000-05/0057.html
    (as a workaround for the sg command length problem)

    Running scanimage -L shows my scanner. Starting xscanimage is
    also ok. But starting a scan or a preview scan, there is an
    error message. It must be the "get scan mode" in the canon
    backend.

    The normal way to check is to enable the debug output with
    export SANE_DEBUG_CANON=128, but after that, scanimage -L
    crashes without any output. I've debugged and found out that
    the scanimage crashes at the first fprintf(stderr, ...), but
    all parameters to fprintf are valid.

    I've tried it also to compile without the -O2 option, but no
    effect.

    Any hints?

    I've installed:
    Kernel version 2.2.14
    gcc version 2.95.2
    glibc 2.1.3
    CanoScan 2700F with a aha1502 scsi host adapter

    Thanks,

    Stefan