Umax 1220s stops & hangs at the end of preview

From: Laurent-jan (ljm@xs4all.nl)
Date: Sun Jun 04 2000 - 12:56:47 PDT

    My scanner, an UMAX 1220s, does not work. First I
    had some SCSI-problems, so I finaly resorted to buying a
    second SCSI-card.

    Now my /proc/scsi/scsi looks like this:

    Attached devices:
    Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
      Vendor: QUANTUM Model: ATLAS IV 9 WLS Rev: 0909
    Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 03 Lun: 00
      Vendor: YAMAHA Model: CRW6416S Rev: 1.0b
      Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 02
    Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 05 Lun: 00
      Vendor: UMAX Model: Astra 1220S Rev: V1.3
      Type: Scanner ANSI SCSI revision: 02

    That's nice, I thougth. If I do a scanimage -L it says:
    device `umax:/dev/sgc' is a UMAX Astra 1220S flatbed scanner
    Yep, that's 'm I thought.
    So my next move was a xscanimage. That starts up nicely. So I tried a
    preview-window and acquire preview. Then the scanner starts moving.
     I almost cheered!
    After a while it stops moving. Xscanimage does not give me a preview.
    What's
    worst: xscanimage doesnot do anything anymore! After a kill -9 the
    windows
    disapear, but xscanimage keeps poppingup in the ps-list. If I try a
    scanimage -L, it hangs. I have to reboot to get rid of the processes.
    Scanimage has the same problem.

    What's next? anyone any idea's? What did I do wrong?

    some versions: Linux kernel 2.2.5 from Redhat; Sane 1.0.2, Sane-umax
    1.0.2.

    --
    (c) ljm @ acm.org. No part of this copyright message may be
    reproduced, read or seen, dead or alive or by any means, including