Re: Correct Network Scanner Syntax? (a question)

From: William (Andy) Smith (romaq@members.limitless.org)
Date: Thu May 25 2000 - 11:05:19 PDT

    On Thu, 25 May 2000, Levente NOVAK wrote:

    > Unfortunately, I am not able to help you, but I have a question: if I
    > understand you correctly, you have a Microtek _parallel port_ scanner
    > working fine.

    Microtek X6 using the microtek2 backend. And ... 'fine' is a tricky
    word. I can get it to do what I want, mostly sorta. As far as I
    know. Since I'm using machine that's as low-end as I can get away with,
    I'll be able to comfortably do specific testing once I sort out the
    sane-net driver issues.

    > Are the scanned pictures completely OK?

    I've had the preview come out looking 'shattered'. Gamma correction
    appears to be off in full-color, I've not bothered with compensating just
    yet. I can do high-end greyscale.

    > Because with my Microtek Phantom 636cx scanning is fine (I mean I
    > don't have technical problems with it), however I get fine vertical
    > stripes in the scanned image and the background intensity is very
    > uneven. Unfortunately, Bernd Schroeder who was the maintainer of the
    > microtek2 backend disappeared from this list before being able to
    > provide a fix. What is your model and how did you configure it?
    > Thanks in advance,

    X6 as stated above, with a few annoying problems but no intensive testing
    just yet to hammer out what I need. As far as 'settings', I'm using the
    2.3.35 kernel, I have conf.modules loading in gs, ppscsi, onscsi, parport
    and any other modules it requires to work properly. Once done and, for
    the moment, I'm using defaults entirely and having it dump small files I
    can check to see that it produces an image at all, or doing pipes to
    strings so I can detect output that doesn't trash the monitor or do bells.

    From my point-of-view, I'm using a loose 486 as a back-end hardware driver
    for the scanner to have it freely available to any other machine on the
    private LAN. Our staff is keeping an eye on USB scanners and the maturity
    of LINUX drivers so we can simply purchase a machine, plug it in and go.

    > PS: Is anybody out there willing to take over the maintenance of
    > the microtek2 backend?

    'Free Software' does have a price, does it not? >:) Can't help there, I'm
    still futzing over sane-net and I don't know C++ to tackle it. I suppose
    'best of luck to us all' would be appropriate.

    --Romaq