Re: "Standard" or "best" image format?

From: Bill Wohler (wohler@newt.com)
Date: Mon May 15 2000 - 15:44:18 PDT

      Thanks for all the feedback, although I have to admit I'm a bit
      overwhelmed.

    Jan Steinman <Jan@Bytesmiths.com> writes:
    > If you don't need to ever share files with Mac users, use whatever
    > the Microsoft metafile format is.

      No chance. I do not consider proprietary, de-facto "standards" to be
      standard, *especially* if they were written by Microsoft. Give me
      something that has been written by the IETF or some other standards
      body. Think interoperability.

    > However, if there's the slightest chance you'll be feeding this file
    > to a graphics professional -- service bureau, stock photo house, ad
    > agency, etc., use TIFF because those places will more likely than not
    > be using Macs.

      Thanks, that was the most useful bit of information I heard.

      Basically, I'm scanning a bunch of slides and burning CDs. I'll be
      (later) processing the scans with the GIMP and other software on
      Linux. I'm making copies of the CDs for a friend who probably uses
      Photoshop on Windows, and someday I may wish to give the images to a
      graphics professional.

      I may be using the term "raw" incorrectly--I just mean that that the
      images have not gone through any laborious post-processing after
      scanning. I am using an auto-adjust button and tweaking the contrast
      in Xsane which performs the scans though.

      OK, so I should use TIFF. Now, on to compression.

      Xsane, via libtiff I'd imagine, provides several compression
      schemes: JPEG DCT, and something called "pack bits". Is the JPEG DCT
      compression LZT in sheep's clothing or is this something I could use
      that would be universally accepted?

    --
    Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com>
    Maintainer of comp.mail.mh FAQ. Vote Libertarian!