Snapscan backend

From: Steve Underwood (steveu@coppice.org)
Date: Sun May 14 2000 - 00:04:17 PDT

    Hi all,

    I think I have basically completed the last key piece of the Snapscan
    backend which the original author left unfinished before he moved on. I
    now have a version with correctly merges the R, G and B images, and
    produces a clean full colour preview window and output file. So far I
    have not tried to do more than complete the original work. As it stands
    there are still some peculiarities. For example, the xsane dialog will
    say the image is X by Y pixels, but the resulting file is actually X by
    (Y - a small amount) due to the image realignment process. Ideally, the
    xsane dialogue would show exactly what the final result result will be.

    So far I have:
        Taken the snapscan backend from Sane 1.0.2
        Merged Oliver Schwartz's transparency adaptor mods.
        Added my own mods for to support the Acer 610plus and 610S (actually
    only tested with my 610plus).
        Implemented the correct merging of the R, G and B images.

    The code now seems to work no worse than before. By this I mean I can
    get various forms of odd behaviour with both the new and the old code. I
    have made a set of files available at
    ftp://ftp.coppice.org//pub/snapscan/snapscan-20000514.tar.gz This is a
    complete drop in replacement set of snapscan files for the ones in Sane
    1.0.2. The snapscan-310.c file you will find the the Sane 1.0.2
    distribution is actually left over junk from an older version of the
    snapscan backend, and can be thrown out.

    Any feedback about this version is welcome.

    Steve