Re: Transparency support for snapscan backend

From: Karlheinz Günster (karlheinz.guenster@t-online.de)
Date: Fri May 05 2000 - 00:00:07 PDT

    Am Die, 02 Mai 2000 schrieb Oliver Schwartz:

    Hi Oliver,

    > > > I've put a first version of my patch for transparency support in the snapscan
    > > > backend on my homepage (http://www.ginko.de/user/oschwartz/snapscan).
    > > >
    > > > Up to now I have only tested it with an Acer ScanPrisa 620UT.
    > > >
    > > > The patch is for sane-1.0.2. It does not work with previous versions.
    > > >
    > > > If you have a Snapscan or Acer Prisa scanner with transparency unit please try
    > > > it and tell me whether it works for you.
    > >
    > > it runs! Thank you very much for your work.
    > >
    > > Only the following appeared:
    > >
    > > On your homepage in the "installation instructions" under "5." should
    > > only be the instruction "make", under "6." "make install", without dot
    > > and slash. This way my system is working correctly.
    >
    > You're right. I've changed it.
    >
    > > I copied "find-scanner" manually, because "make install" and
    > > "tools" haven't been installed.
    >
    > That's true. However, it's a general sane problem. I don't know why find-scanner
    > is not installed by "make install" (anyone?).
    >
    > > Version 1.0.2 don't overwrite existing files in /usr/local/etc/sane.d
    > > and /usr/local/lib/sane. I searched for it a long time, at least
    > > found it and then deleted it manually.
    >
    > Hm... It should leave old configuration files in /usr/local/etc/sane.d but
    > overwrite binaries in /usr/local/lib/sane. The only reasons I can imagine why
    > it didn't work for you is that you had sane 1.0.1 installed. In this case some
    > links in /usr/local/lib/sane are not replaced.

    I had sane 1.0.1 installed.

    > > The scan looks very fine.
    > >
    > > Finally I have three wishes:
    > >
    > > The scanarea can be 21,5 x 29 cm.
    >
    > Are you sure? I found an electronic version of a Snapscan 300 / 600 manual which
    > specifies 203 x 254 mm for transparency mode. I'll add support for
    > model-dependent max. scan areas in the next version of the patch.

    You are right, the TPU covers a smaller area than the base of
    the scanner. I relate to the largest size that is possible for
    contact-prints.

    > > A switch that allows me to choice between negative and positive scan.
    >
    > You should use xsane. It already has a "negative" switch.

    But this doesn't run with the new coolscan-Backend from Andreas
    Rick, I have a "new" Coolscan.

    > > And a little faster scan only by 600 dpi with maximal scan-area in mode
    > > flatbed. A scan with this resolution was running 45 minutes before
    > > xscanimage disapeared suddenly, although only half of the image was
    > > scanned.
    >
    > Hm again... My scanner works fine with this resolution. Is this a new
    > behaviour after applying the patch? Does anybody else have this problem with a
    > SnapScan 600? What kind of SCSI-adapter are you using?

    I found it. If with or without your patch, the result is the same since 1.0.2. My
    233MHz computer has an Adaptec AHA-2940A SCSI-Controller.

    A 600dpi-scan in color and 600dpi-scan in greyscale
    is impossible, because it takes you 10 minutes.

    But I remember of Kevins Mini-Patch "src-0.8.tgz" from Oct 21, 1999.
    I copied the files into 1.0.2, and patched it with your
    snapscantpo.patch. It works normally.

    Karlheinz

    --
    E-Mail: karlheinz.guenster@t-online.de