Re: Acer Prisa620ST woes and hope

From: Steffen Kluge (kluge@fujitsu.com.au)
Date: Thu May 04 2000 - 08:02:23 PDT

    Just a quick update:

    On Thu, May 04, 2000 at 11:28:37AM +1000, I wrote:
    > Secondly, when using xscanimage and the preview window, after
    > about 25 or 30% of the preview has arrived, strange things are
    > happening to some system timer:
    > [...]
    > - My gkrellm and the asclock applet in the gnome panel stop
    > updating. The clock applet jumped ahead by more than an hour
    > once.

    When I restart those applications they seem to run ok for about
    5 or 6 seconds, then freeze. The asclock applet takes a jump
    forward of about 1h 10min.

    > - It doesn't affect all times and timers, date still keeps
    > showing the correct time, and window manager animations appear
    > to be timed as usual. Top updates at the same old interval and
    > doesn't show anything unusual (IIRC).

    In fact, everything else seems to run normally.
    Very peculiar, mama...

    > Simply loading the scsi modules doesn't cause the problem, only
    > using xscanimage, so I'm not even sure about blaming
    > interrupts. Could it be a GNOME/gtk+ bug in the end?

    Correction: it's also triggered by using the command line
    interface (e.g. scanimage > /dev/null). I've got a second X
    server running on the machine (for my wife), it is affected in
    the same way.

    I wish I could find an affected non-GUI application, just to
    rule out an XFree v4.0 bug.

    Does anybody know what timers (other than per-application) are
    running in the system and how to check whether they are ok?

    I has to be something that affects:
    - X screen savers, DPMS, asclock, gkrellm
    but does not affect:
    - xlock, oclock, date, watch, top and the like.

    aTdHvAaNnKcSe
    Steffen.

    --
    Steffen Kluge <kluge@fujitsu.com.au>