Re: problems with Canon scanner

From: Douglas Gilbert (dgilbert@interlog.com)
Date: Sun Apr 30 2000 - 20:21:42 PDT

    Herman Roozenbeek wrote:

    > I have a Canon CanoScan 300 scanner. With Sane 1.0.1 everything worked fine.
    > But now I have upgraded to 1.0.2 and I can't get my scanner working.
    >
    > The configuration of /dev/scanner is okay. This is the content of
    > /proc/scsi/scsi:
    >
    > Attached devices:
    > Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 02 Lun: 00
    > Vendor: CANON Model: IX-03035B Rev: 2.01
    > Type: Scanner ANSI SCSI revision: 02
    > Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 06 Lun: 00
    > Vendor: IOMEGA Model: ZIP 100 Rev: D.17
    > Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 02
    >
    > Besides, find-scanner from the tools-subdir finds the scanner, also when I
    > am logged in as a normal user.
    >
    > The Sane setup should be okay, since the PNM-backend works without
    > problems.
    >
    > The Canon-backend, as far as I can tell, can be found by libsane-dll, but
    > somewhere it encounters an error.
    >
    > The file /usr/etc/sane.d/canon.conf contains:
    >
    > scsi CANON
    > /dev/scanner
    >
    > And /usr/etc/sane.d/dll.conf:
    >
    > pnm
    > canon
    >
    > [snip]
    > As far as I can tell, the error occurs in "GET SCAN MODE".

    Herman,
    The problem is with that command which seems like a vendor
    special. The sg driver probably incorrectly guesses the
    length of that command.

    Since that is a recent Linux kernel the Canon backend could
    take advantage of the SG_NEXT_CMD_LEN ioctl to override the
    length of the problematic command.

    Alernatively you could go to the Canon backend web site and
    hack the sg driver as suggested. [This is ugly.]

    Doug Gilbert