Re: Copyright signs

From: Randolph Bentson (bentson@grieg.holmsjoen.com)
Date: Sun Apr 09 2000 - 15:40:31 PDT

    On Mon, Apr 10, 2000 at 01:45:40AM +0800, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

    > [Randolph Bentson]
    > > In the U.S., and perhaps all Berne Convention countries, it is
    > > unfortunate that the character string '(c)' is not a legal
    > > substitute for the copyright sign. You must spell out 'copyright' to
    > > do it right.
    >
    > I'm pretty sure USA did adjust their copyright system so there is no
    > need to mark documents to get the copyright. The author always keeps
    > the copyright (unless other agreements are made) without any signs in
    > the text.

    As I understand it, although the copyright comes into existance when the
    body of art is created (part of what the Berne Convention established),
    the rights of the author differ as a function of what the author does
    to register and advertise the copyright. At the minimum, the author
    can demand the copier cease and desist in copying, but if the work is
    properly registered and properly marked, the author can collect damages
    for the misappropriation of intellectual property. It's my understanding
    that the copyright symbol or the word 'copyright' is necessary for this
    latter scenario. Of course, I'd welcome a definitive correction to my
    understanding.

    --
    Randolph Bentson
    bentson@holmsjoen.com