sane 1.0.2 - strangeness

From: Pierre Fortin (pfortin@SkyBest.com)
Date: Mon Mar 27 2000 - 08:09:47 PST

    [Trying "New msg"... Netscape left a reference in my original post...]

    The other day, I used my UMAX 2400S scanner to make some copies using
    the "xerox" script.

    Today, I wanted to copy some papers; but when I issued the command, I
    could only get:

    $ xerox
    scanimage: open of device umax:/dev/scanner failed: Invalid argument
    pnmtops: EOF / read error reading magic number
    lpr: stdin: empty input file

    Then, to have a quick look at the bus, I ran xcdroast, clicked on
    SCSI/IDE-Info, exited and the scanner now works again...

    Huh..?? Looks like xcdroast is able to return the bus to a known state
    while sane does not...

    Pierre