Re: Adaptec AVA 2904

From: John Vickers (jvickers@dial.pipex.com)
Date: Sat Mar 25 2000 - 02:25:51 PST

    Oliver Rauch wrote:

    > "S.P.Sheriff" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi everyone at SANE and SuSE
    > >
    > > AVA 2904. Anyone know whether this card will work under Linux? (SuSE 6.3)
    > > It is to drive a Umax 2200SU scanner.
    > >
    > > Adaptec tell me that it is compatible with the AHA 2940 but it does not
    > > appear on any lists probably because it is relatively new.
    > >
    > > Thanks, Steve
    > >
    > > --
    >
    > ..../linx/driver/scsi/README.aic7xxx lists the adaptec 2940 as supported card.

    NO! He really does mean 2904, not 2940 - 2903 & 2904 are cheap (for
    Adaptec) PCI
    mastering Fast/(Ultra ?) narrow ROM-less cards sold for use with scanners
    & CDRW's.
    I have a 2903B which was bundled with my Epson P1200S, but I've never
    taken it out of
    it's wrapping, since I'm quite happy with the Advansys 3940UA controller
    I had already.

    I think there are a few variants with different combinations of internal
    and external
    connections. Auto-termination is provided by a couple of Dallas
    DS2110's.

    I think that the Adaptec Linux drivers will drive it, but I've never
    tried.

    John.