How can I get sane to recognise my scanner if I turn it on AFTER the PC?

From: John Gay (John_Gay@eur.3com.com)
Date: Wed Mar 22 2000 - 01:41:19 PST

    I've been using sane for quite some time and overall, I find it to be quite
    good. I've had several problems, but most of these were due to my newness to
    Linux. I do have one problem that is still bothering me.

    When I turn on my scanner before my PC, sane, xsane etc all work as advertised.
    If I don't turn on my scanner first, I can use

    echo "scsi-add-device 0 0 2 0"> /proc/scsi/scsi

    as root to enable my scanner, and a cat of /proc/scsi/scsi shows that the
    scanner is recognised, however sane, xsane xsanimage all quit with a
    segmentation fault. Most of the times, I just make sure my scanner is on first,
    if I'm going to be using my scanner, but I'd like to have the option to enable
    my scanner rather than having to re-boot.

    Has anyone got any ideas?

    Cheers,

         John Gay