[epson] ident failed - Epson Perfection 636U

From: Torsten Howard (torsten@inetw.net)
Date: Sat Mar 18 2000 - 12:21:40 PST

    Hello,

    Please help. My epson scanner is more stubborn than Windows' registry. I'll try to
    list everything I've tried and done very concisely and explicitly.

    Much thanks for any help,
    Torsten Howard

    The Scanner
    -----------
    Epson Perfection 636U
    USB interface
    Supported by SANE backend

    The Computer
    ------------
    Sony VAIO 505TR laptop
    1 USB Port
    UHCI (not alternate)
    Kernels used: 2.2.13, 2.2.14, 2.3.99pre1

    The Problem
    -----------
    When I plug the scanner in, unplug and then replug it in, power-off then power-on,
    'scanimage --list-devices' returns
    [epson] error in receive - status = 62
    [epson] error in receive - status = 5
    [epson] ident failed

    It takes ~2 min. 0.12 sec to run this command every time I run it.

    A couple of times, it just prints first and third, the second and third, or just the
    third lines from above.

    After trying 'scanimage --list-devices' several times, eventually just
    [epson] ident failed
    is printed, and after a little while longer, and I'm not 100% on the error conditions
    here, but it seems like one error is printed, the green ready light on the scanner
    turns red and flashes quickly.

    Hereafter, I must power off/power on the scanner. It seems this red light started
    flashing once after the second line was printed (but no the third), and all other
    times it seems the red light started flashing sometime after the scanimage program
    quits, but I'm not sure. Every time I check the scanner right after the program
    quits, it's light is green. But often I look back after not having checked the
    scanner for awhile, and the light flashes red. Hmmmph.

    What I Know
    -----------
    the scanner works. I can scan with printshop pro under windows 98.

    when the "plug n' play" is enabled in bios, nothing works. When disabled, I get the
    error mentioned above. So it remains disabled. This was done under recommendation
    from Karl's homepage usb setup.

    /dev/usbscanner0 was created with the command 'mknod /dev/usbscanner c 180 48'

    I've tried using sane v1.0.2 and save v1.0.2 modified with the epson files (version
    20000306) from www.khk.net (Karl Heinz Kremer's page) - don't worry, I deleted all the
    old files before reinstalling the new version to make sure there were no duplicate
    files anywhere.

    I have modified the file /usr/local/etc/sane.d/epson.conf to one have one line,
    '/dev/usbscanner0'

    the output of /var/log/debug prints, when I connect the scanner
    ... kernel: hub.c: port 1 connection change
    ... kernel: hub.c: portstatus 101, change 1, High Speed
    ... kernel: hub.c: portstatus 103, change 0, High Speed
    ... kernel: hub.c: kmalloc IF c696d2c0, numif 1
    ... kernel: usb.c: usbscanner driver claimed interface c696d2c0
    so I know the scanner is being recognized and initialized, and it appears the scanner
    driver is grabbing the interface(?)

    'scanimage -d epson' command returns
    [epson] error in receive - status = 62
    [epson] error in receive - status = 5
    [epson] ident failed
    scanimage: open of device epson failed: Invalid argument

    'xscanimage epson' returns a dialog box, something like 'failed to open epson' and

    'scanimage /dev/usbscanner0' returns
    [epson] ident failed
    scanimage: no SANE devices found

    I have used the kernel 2.2.13 patched with the usb backport (for 2.2.14) and I have
    used the 2.2.14 kernel with the usb-backport (for 2.2.14). Both have the exact same
    errors and outputs. I have compiled both as modules, and directly in the kernel.
    Kernels are compiled with usbcore, usbdevfs, usbscanner, and uhci (not "alternate").
    Also, I was sure to make modules and make modules_install because I can insmod usbcore
    and insmod usb-uhci and insmod scanner....

    I can mount /proc/bus/usb but it never ever shows any files (devices, etc).

    I have tried the 2.3.99pre1 kernel, but it failed to boot. It printed something like,
    'Uncompressing kernel......... OK, booting" and hung right there. I made very few
    configuration changed, and even set 'vga=normal' in lilo.conf (and ran lilo) to make
    sure kernel could use the display, but it still failed to boot.