Re: SCSI or USB

From: Jonathan Buzzard (jonathan@buzzard.org.uk)
Date: Wed Mar 15 2000 - 11:54:05 PST

    khk@khk.net said:
    > Be very careful with USB scanners. They not only have to be supported
    > by the USB sub system (which as far as I remember was a problem with
    > the USB drivers from SuSE 6.3), in addion to this SANE has to provide
    > support for the particular scanner as well.

    Take a look at the following page

        http://www.buzzard.org.uk/jonathan/scanners-usb.html

    At this point in time the best supported USB scanners are Epson and
    HP ones. Be careful with HP scanners though as some such as the 4200C
    do not yet work although a drivers are in development.

    That said if you can put up with firmware uploads and a bit of messy
    patching you could get an Afga Snapscan 1212U or an AcerScan 620U.

    In the long run it looks like USB scanners will be well supported under
    Linux. This is however down to National Semiconductor providing the
    information on there USB-scanner-on-a-chip silicon and not the scanner
    manufactures. Apparently they are predicting that 90% of low end scanners
    will use these chips.

    JAB.

    --
    Jonathan A. Buzzard                 Email: jonathan@buzzard.org.uk
    Northumberland, United Kingdom.       Tel: +44(0)1661-832195