Re: SANE Linux 2.2.13 SCSI problem

From: Douglas Gilbert (dgilbert@interlog.com)
Date: Mon Feb 28 2000 - 21:13:18 PST

    Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

    > [Joaquin Franco]
    > > After upgrade to 2.2.13 kernel, SANE doesn't work anymore. I think
    > > the reason is this:
    > >
    > > ( from sg.h file ( kernel 2.2.13 ))
    > >
    > > - this driver no longer uses a single SG_BIG_BUFF sized buffer
    > > obtained at driver/module init time. Rather it tries to obtain a
    > > SG_DEF_RESERVED_SIZE buffer when a fd is open()ed and frees it at
    > > the corresponding release() (ie per fd).
    > >
    > > can you help me ?

    It's been that way since lk 2.2.6 and has been done in such a way
    to minimize the impact on existing applications such as SANE. I
    would be very surprised if it's causing your problem. Did you
    attempt to change the value of those defines?

    With the sg driver in the development lk 2.3.48 you can:
    $ cat /proc/scsi/sg/def_reserved_size
    32768
    $ echo 131072 > /proc/scsi/sg/def_reserved_size
    $ cat /proc/scsi/sg/def_reserved_size
    131072

    The 2nd command requires root permission. A "def_reserved_size=<n>"
    can be passed at module load time or "sg_def_reserved_size=<n>"
    can be given at kernel boot time.
    /proc/sys/kernel/sg-big-buff lives on but only when sg is built
    into the kernel (as always).

    Most users shouldn't need to play with this value, and if
    they do in lk 2.4 , at least they won't need to change the
    kernel source.

    > Not really. I don't know enough about the Linux SCSI internals. I
    > can on the other hand post your question on the list, and hopefully
    > someone will be able to help you. Check
    > <URL:http://www.mostang.com/sane/mail.html> to see any followups.
    >
    > Which version of SANE are you using?

    Also, which linux version were you using previously and with
    which adapter?

    Doug Gilbert