Astra 1220S

From: Cornelius, John (jcornelius@auroragold.com.au)
Date: Mon Feb 21 2000 - 16:13:16 PST

    Hi
    I have a Umax Astra 1220S Scanner.
    The scanner came with an incompatible to Linux SCSI card.
    ******
    Oliver Rauch says the below.
    I like the ncr/symbios_logic 53c8xx cards, especally the 53c810 cards (fast
    scsi)
    are good for external scsi devices!
    ******
    Before I order the card suggested above I have a few questions.
    I know next to nothing about SCSI cards although I am reading about them.
    I originally brought an AHA-2940/U2w ULTRA2-LVD/SE as it was listed as Linux
    compatible in the How to Hardware.
    When I got it home I found the connector on the SCSI card was not compatible
    with the 25 pin connector on the scanner.
    I then thought about how stupid I was for rushing out and buying this card
    and that I would have to keep it for some other purpose.

    Then I read in the UMAX Scanners & Adaptec Compatible Cards list that the
    Adaptec AHA-2940/U2W HD68 is compatible but requires a converter with high
    byte termination from HD68 - HD25.

    Can some fill me in. What is high byte termination.
    If I buy this converter will I be able to get the card working on Linux
    (with out having to do to much programming)?

    Or should I go out and buy the suggested ncr/symbios_logic 53c8xx card and
    does it need a converter. I can not see it listed in the list of supported
    SCSI cards in the linux Hardware Howto

    Thanks John