Re: Xsane-0.55: scan resolution selection (Epson 1200S, CVS Sane)

From: Oliver Rauch (oliver.rauch@Wolfsburg.DE)
Date: Sat Feb 19 2000 - 09:50:12 PST

    Karl Heinz Kremer wrote:

    > On Sat, Feb 19, 2000 at 01:23:49PM +0100, Oliver Rauch wrote:
    > > Hello Karl Heinz,
    > >
    > > the sane standard defines only one "resolution" as well known option.
    > > It does not make sense to have a "preview resolution" option because
    > > the frontend has to set the correct resolution in each case and like defined
    > > in the standard xscanimage and xsane do set the option "resolution".
    > >
    > > If the preview resolution option is removed from the epson backend
    > > everything will work fine.
    >
    > OK, so let me see if I understand this correctly: I don't have to set
    > the preview resolution in the backend, this is done in the frontend.
    > Therefore it does not make sense to have a "preview resolution" selection.

    It does not matter if you do a preview or a real scan, the option
    "resolution" always defines the resolution.

    > If this assumtion is correct I can remove the preview resolution.
    > I do however doubt that "everything will work fine" after I remove
    > that option. You still don't know which resolutions are supported
    > by the scanner if I implement the resolution option as a range vs.
    > as a list. So the resolution list will still display a "synthetic"
    > set of resolutions.

    If the scanner only supports a list of resolutions create a
    Word_List of the type SANE_Int instead of a range.
    (there are already some backends that do so).

    A range only makes sense if the scanner is able to scan
    with almost all resolutions the user can select.

    Bye
    Oliver

    --
    Homepage:       http://www.wolfsburg.de/~rauch