Re: New CVS snapshot 20000213

From: Petter Reinholdtsen (pere@hungry.com)
Date: Sat Feb 19 2000 - 01:30:42 PST

    > I compiled the CVS state from yesterday evening with egcs version
    > 2.91.66/Suse Linux 6.3. The compiler spits out countless warnings
    > "pointer type void used in integer arithmetic". Most if not all of
    > there warnings come from memset (13 warnings for each call) and
    > string functions like strcps or strcmp (3 warnings for each call).

    Strange. The problem is that HP and Irix compilers do not allow
    arithmetics on void pointers. I added this flag to at least make gcc
    give a warning when this was used.

    The 'cast discards qualifiers' warning will also make some compilers
    bail out (I think it is Irix 6.5 compiler). All of these warnings
    should be fixed.

    The only warnings I believe can be safely ignored are 'unused
    parameter' and and 'comparison between signed and unsigned'. I'm not
    to sure about the last one. :-)

    The safest bet is that no warnings means the code will compile on any
    ANSI compiler.

    > Therefore I suggest to remove the flag -Wpointer-arith from the
    > final release.

    On the final release, I plan to make some of the warnings optional.
    Maybe --enable-warnings or something similar to activate them.

    --
    ##>  Petter Reinholdtsen  <##  |  pere@td.org.uit.no