Re^2: ScanExpress 12000SP Plus NOW WORKS!!!

From: Andreas S. Oesterhelt (oes@paradis.rhein.de)
Date: Thu Feb 17 2000 - 15:06:22 PST

    Hi Henning & all,

    ..first of all thanks to this list for making the list's archive really
    on oasis of information on SANE. Without having thought of scanning until
    last week, I got my SP 12000 Plus (birthday present) up and running within
    an hour.

    That is, after mastering the SCSI-trouble that results from Mustek's
    stupid idea of terminating the SCSI bus behind a narrow-SCSI connection,
    resulting in the upper bits of the (wide) internal bus not being
    terminated at all. I'll skip the details but can't avoid stating that
    instead of calling Mustek tech suppopt in Germany, you can just as well
    ask the guy at your local Burger King's drive-through window. The Symbios
    Logic guy in Munich (actual engineer on the phone, no callcenter!) saved
    my day.

    Back OT:

    > I think the mustek.desc is just for documentation.

    Yep, worked without modifying mustec.desc

    > I think something like
    >
    > else if ((strncmp(model_name, "XC06", 4) == 0) ||
    > (strncmp(model_name, " C06", 4) == 0))
    >
    > could be included in the code.

    Right. Works fine for the "SP Plus" and should maintain compatibility to
    the SP.

    >> Now the scanner works fine. Next step will be to try to change sg.c to
    >> increase buffer size.

    >Is this still necesary with newer Linux kernels?

    At least with 2.2.5 it is.

    But what bothers me more than the "low" (still quite nice) speed of the
    actual scan is that the Mustek seems to do some initialization first, with
    the cart moving back and forth for some seconds. Anybody got a clue
    whether this is really necessary and if not, how to avoid that?

    Kind regards,
    --Andreas