Re: Epson scanner support

From: John Vickers (jvickers@dial.pipex.com)
Date: Tue Feb 15 2000 - 11:26:02 PST

    Johan Bengtsson wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > The list of supported Epson scanners at the SANE homepage doesn't seem to be up
    > to date. It think it only lists GT-5500 and GT-7000, but I've seen people
    > mention on the list that other Epson scanners work as well, like the 1200
    > Perfection...

    The list in the snapshots, or in CVS, is more up to date.
    I believe the GT9600 has also been reported as working.

    The Epson driver seems to be to have a few problems, but
    mostly it works pretty well. Avoid the driver self-test (scanimage -T) !

    The web page, and the CVS documentation should make the point that almost
    any Epson flatbed scanner is supported. I believe there is also limited
    support
    for film scanners.

    The basic functionality of nearly all existing Epson scanners is
    supported,
    and the basic functionality of any new models is also likely to be
    supported
    by existing code. More-or-less complete functionality is supported for
    most recent flatbed models.

    Epson scanner support isn't on a per-scanner basis: epson scanners
    communicate using a protocol which Epson call "Esc-I".

    There are several "levels" of this protocol. The Epson driver
    asks the (SCSI, USB, or parallel) scanner what command level it supports,
    and uses this information, rather than the model of the scanner,
    to determine what commands are available within the protocol.

    So if you come along with an Epson scanner which supports command
    level "B7", for example, it should be fully supported *even* if no-one
    has ever tried using this scanner with Sane before.

    If a scanner reports a command level which is unknown to the driver, say
    "B52",
    the driver will fall back to one of the basic command "levels" ("B5", I
    think).

    This information (with any corrections!) should go into CVS.

    John.